On August 16, 2008 Camp Menesetung celebrated the 85th anniversary since the Goderich Summer School began, the 75th anniversary since the land was purchased for the present site, the 60th anniversary since Incorporation, and the 40th anniversary since the name was changed to Camp Menesetung. The Board of Directors felt that this was reason to celebrate the camp’s rich history in a lasting tribute. Thus the idea of a Memory Quilt.
Camp Menesetung is affiliated with the United Church of Canada, and is supported in many ways by the various pastoral charges of Huron-Perth Presbytery. In 1994 a program was introduced whereby individuals, various pastoral charges, and UCW groups could ‘Adopt-A-Cabin’. This meant that the Adopters were responsible for maintaining the interior of their cabin (spring cleaning, painting, and furnishing). The Board of Directors is responsible for painting and maintaining the exterior of the cabins, the dining hall, church, craft hall, washrooms, and the grounds. Over the years there have been some changes in the list of Adopters. Some Adopters have been involved since the beginning of the program.
For the quilt, each current Cabin Adopter was asked to contribute at least one 12"X12" block. We asked that it be representative of their involvement with Camp Menesetung. Specific instructions were given as to finished size and background colour.
Each block was to indicate which adopter was submitting it. Various suggestions were given regarding church camping activities which could be incorporated into the theme, such as Arts & Crafts, Music, Discovery, Swimming, Campfire, Outdoor Living Skills, Archery, Drama. Also, other pastoral charges and UCW groups other then current Adopters were invited to contribute a block if they wished to. The submissions were diverse and very interesting. The Board of Directors is grateful to all contributors for their outstanding work and dedication.
The project was co-ordinated by Barbara Knox, Chair of the Board. Sincere appreciation is extended to Clara Anne Jewell of Benmiller, who, along with Irene Millian, prepared extra blocks. Clara Anne then assembled, and quilted the finished product. Her expertise and dedication to the project was a Blessing.
Quilt Blocks were provided by:
- Cabin A - Cabin and Evergreens - The original cabins were built in 1935.
#1 Cabins A & B were built in 1955. Cabins 1-8 were added in 1960
#2 The Camp Logo, designed by Joyce Bean of Auburn, was chosen in 2004
from several submissions in a contest to design a new logo for the camp.
- Cabin B - Cabin - Cabin A & Cabin B are heated. Therefore they are
#3 frequently used by rental groups in the spring and autumn.